When it comes to mid-range chainsaws, the budget you should be having is somewhere close to 400 dollars. This is the amount you can start with when your target chainsaws are those that do well at activities such as loads of firewood cutting.
From property purpose usage to maybe a little bit of professional chores, there are quite a few fabulous models right now that can give you an amazing list of standard chainsaw features in that budget.
We have around 5 picks that are worth a mention when talking about affordable to mid-range varieties. And among all of those, which one is the best chainsaw under 400 dollars, that’s something we’ll need to find out by the end of this article.
- 1 Best Chainsaw Under 400 Dollars – Our 5 Top Picks:
- 2 Reviewing Best Chainsaw Under 400 Dollars Picks.
- 2.1 1. DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCCS670X1 60V MAX Chainsaw Kit
- 2.2 2. EGO Power+ CS1401 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- 2.3 3. Makita XCU03Z 18V X2 36V 14″ Chain Saw
- 2.4 4. Oregon Cordless 16-inch Self-Sharpening Chainsaw
- 2.5 5. Greenworks G-MAX 20312 40V 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw
- 3 Choosing The Best Budget Chainsaw Under 300 & 400 Dollars for Yourself.
- 4 Bottom Line
Best Chainsaw Under 400 Dollars – Our 5 Top Picks:
- DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCCS670X1 60V MAX Chainsaw Kit – It’s one of the best light duty chainsaw picks for regular to medium-sized cutting chores. The flexibility is great with amazing durability that would last a long time with proper maintenance. Not to mention, how easy it is to use even for beginners.
- EGO Power+ CS1401 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw -This lightweight option can give amazing cutting results that are smooth and clean overall. It’s not the best for very thick hardwood but to conduct light-duty tasks the affordable cordless chainsaw will make a great impression.
- Makita XCU03Z 18V X2 36V 14″ Chain Saw -With the need for really less maintenance, this chainsaw comes with a pretty powerful motor to handle plenty of cutting chores. It has a fabulous cutting capacity for the price tag, which is quite low.
- Oregon Cordless 16-inch Self-Sharpening Chainsaw -Within the mid-range budget, it provides robust performance with easy-to-operate functions coming along. The cuts are smooth and users can conduct both vertical as well as horizontal position cuttings for various needs.
- Greenworks G-MAX 20312 40V 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw -Would work best for those who don’t need a chainsaw for very regular chores but mostly occasional property maintenance tasks. The mechanism is powerful and comes with easy usability keeping beginners in mind. Great performance overall.
Reviewing Best Chainsaw Under 400 Dollars Picks.
This is the segment that needs your most attention. As we are planning to conduct complete reviews on each of the 5 recommendations for today. See for yourself why these are some of the top picks below 400 dollars.
1. DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCCS670X1 60V MAX Chainsaw Kit
- 3.0 AH of AMP Hour.
- 16 inches of bar length.
- Included Lithium-ion battery.
- Featured 70 cuts per charge.
- Quick to refill oil.
- Contain a quarter-turn oil cap.
- 0.043 inches of chain gauge
For those of you who desire the best chainsaw for firewood or any other woods with light to medium cutting stability, then this saw will be perfect for you. It is suitable for both residential and medium professional works.
It is probably the best battery powered chainsaw on the list for its lithium-ion battery support that charges pretty fast. Amazingly, this chain saw battery doesn’t drain faster after full recharge.
This handy saw is pretty simple to control and hold. It let you work on your wood with a variable speed trigger that’s super easy to control. If you push the trigger, the bar and chain will run fast or slow based on pressure.
And, we love its flexibility and durability that come from its hard plastic construction. In general, this saw has a nice cutting capacity and a stable guard chain for ripping logs and oaks.
2. EGO Power+ CS1401 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- 6800 RPM of chain speed.
- Includes kickback brake.
- IPX4 water resistance rating.
- 14 inches of guide bar length.
- Up to 14” of max cutting length.
- 0.043 inches of guard chain.
- 3/8 inches of low-profile pitch.
The EGO Power+ CS1401 is most people’s choice for its amazing cutting ability and performance. Most people find it the best chainsaw for cutting down trees that are not too thick, but for homeowners needs it’s pretty sufficient. This saw is both user-friendly and stable to cut comfortably.
So, is it good for cutting pines or limbs? Absolutely, the EGO Power+ CS1401 has a sharp bar and chain that let you cut trees at ease.
Even if it is not for thick hardwood, this saw still works well on most types of woods. This saw has great sharpness to cut for up to 130 times per charge. It lets you work on ripping sleek hardwood with its 14-inch max cutting.
In fact, this saw lets you handle thicker stuff easily unlike other low-quality gas chainsaws. By and large, it is super simple to control and comfortable to operate thanks to its lightweight outline.
3. Makita XCU03Z 18V X2 36V 14″ Chain Saw
- 14 inches of bar length.
- 3940 FPS of chain speed.
- 3/8 inches of chain pitch.
- 0.043 inches of chain gauge.
- Includes 0-3 variable-speed triggers.
- 940 FPM of cutting capacity.
- Contains zero emissions.
If you are searching for a cordless chainsaw that comes with a manageable lightweight and still gives a quite powerful performance, look no further than the Makita XCU03Z. It let you cut limber and small trees smoothly with no fatigue feel on hand or vibration issues.
It is probably the best small chainsaw that lets you cut trees with 12 to 16 inches of cutting thickness. This saw also has a strong brushless motor to access it easily.
We are in love with this saw for its excellent cutting capacity as well as for the fact that it’s pretty low maintenance. It also has a fine-tuning system for chain access and tightening. You are able to loosen or fit the chain by twisting the spring backward and then forward easily.
Also, there’s nice LEDs on the front and upper frame. The brake system of this saw is very convenient to stop the spin. On the whole, it is a nice option for beginners.
4. Oregon Cordless 16-inch Self-Sharpening Chainsaw
- 40cm length of the bar.
- Contain 4.1 oz tank capacity.
- Self-oiling system.
- 2796 FPM of chain speed.
- Tool-less operation.
- Light in weight.
- 250 to 600 cuts per charge.
The Oregon Cordless 16-inch is a best chainsaw for its 250 to 600 cuts per charge, unlike others. And, it has a hooked-tooth chain that helps to spin the bar faster. This chainsaw is suitable for self-sharpening to use over and over again.
And, it’s not stopping there. It is one of the best budget chainsaw picks for ripping trees easily. This chainsaw has a great impact on the ripping capacity to deal with thick firewood better.
Plus, it let you comfortably put the weight with a toolless adjustment. This saw also feels very comfortable when gripping. It as well let you cut on both horizontal and vertical formation. And, you are able to work with good leverage while cutting.
With the metal bucking spikes, this saw has 4.0 Amp battery support for cutting 2-3 inches branches easily. It is also safe to use.
5. Greenworks G-MAX 20312 40V 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw
- 0.375 inches of saw pitch.
- Cuts 90 times per charge.
- 2 AH battery capacity.
- Strong brushless motor.
- 16 inches bar length.
- 30 inches of cutting capacity.
- Electronic brake system.
When talking about the price and performance, the G-Max 20312 is the best chainsaw under 400 dollars that includes a brushless motor, battery, and other features. This saw has 11 MPS of fast cutting speed, which is pretty amazing.
Based on most users, it is the best chainsaw for hardwood and firewood. Especially, if you live in a woodland area, it will help to cut down trees that block the paths.
Designed for occasional cut and use, this saw has 30 inches of cutting capacity. It as well let you achieve smoother and clean cuts. This chainsaw as well is simple to control and balance thanks to its low weight.
Plus, it comes with a battery with a light indicator to signal 10% life. From its brake system, design, durability, and handling to its functions, it rocks in all fields.
Choosing The Best Budget Chainsaw Under 300 & 400 Dollars for Yourself.
Since we already have a budget that cannot cross the 400 dollars margin, there are a few things you’ll have to compromise that usually is only available with high-end chainsaw models.
However, there are certain things, that you also want to ensure in your chainsaw, to make it worth that price point even if it’s on the mid-range. This segment will focus on a few factors that hopefully will help you to figure those out.
The Nature of Tasks That You’ll Handle Is a Critical Factor
There are quite a few types of chainsaws, for example, gas-powered ones, electric, and cordless variants. If you are going to work on projects, mainly that demand pretty heavy-duty cutting, then try to avail yourself only the best gas chain saw. And keep in mind, that’s going to cost you a good amount of money.
However, if you manage cutting tasks that are not very heavy demanding but your loads basically finish after many hours of constant work, then looking for the best electric chainsaw that runs continuously will work the finest. The same goes for those who conduct a bit of artistic wood carving chore. Getting the best electric chainsaw for carving would be a more sensible choice then.
However, considering the budget that’s below 400 dollars range plus something that includes decent features to serve everyday chainsaw required works, the cordless models are going to be your best bet. These are usually super handy and portable, plus some good ones come with the capability of working without noise. You can even find options that are low maintenance as well.
Easy To Maneuver & Work With
Usually when someone wants to get a very powerful chainsaw but without that extra weight, they’ll try to look for models that sound like the best lightweight gas chainsaw. As we all know gas chainsaws are quite powerful.
But here we are trying to purchase something that prices less than 400 dollars. So technically, you might have to sort of compromise on a chainsaw that will be a best in terms of power. But the good news is, you won’t have to sacrifice the portability as most of the options within this budget will be pretty easy to move around.
The Versatile Application
Of course, you want to find something that will be applicable for more than just one task. Having versatility in your chainsaw will make it more worth the price tag. And you should always try to weigh up models’ side by side and then go for the one that shows the most potential at serving in many ways. Unless you are going to need it for one specific task.
Stability That Includes Anti-Vibration Mechanism
One of the main reasons behind being left with a numb and sore hand after using the chainsaw is the fact that it shakes a lot. Plus, your works are going to be not so smooth.
The anti-vibration feature can be a savior if you witness lack of stability as a serious concern. Some however don’t mind the vibration, and it’s usually because of their years of experience in using chainsaws. However, it’s still more preferable to have this feature in your chainsaw.
And we are done with today’s discussion on determining the best chainsaw under 400 dollars. Don’t you feel like a certain model is a bit better than all other 4 in this list? We kind of do! And it’s the Oregon Cordless 16-inch Self-Sharpening Chainsaw.
Not only does it come with an amazing self-sharpening mechanism but also there’s a heavy 250-600 times each charge cutting capacity assurance coming along. For the budget, it’s one really good option, at least in our view.
However, you should take some time to contemplate your needs as well. There can be some other chainsaw that comes within the budget and serves best for what you’re looking for. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find it, good luck!